Pressbooks is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Pressbooks may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from Sept. 1, 2018.
Who we are
Pressbooks (https://pressbooks.com/) is a book creation and book sharing platform operated by Book Oven Inc., a company registered in Montreal, Canada (hereafter “Pressbooks”, “we” or “us”). To contact us, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For GDPR purposes, Pressbooks is the data controller for the personal data listed in this document.
2. Personal data
What personal data we collect
- Registration information: In order to use Pressbooks, you need to register an account on the Pressbooks.com or ingramspark.pressbooks.pub websites. You will need to provide a username, password, and email address. The collection of this data is necessary in order to fulfill our service contract to you.
- Profile information: If you choose to complete your user profile on Pressbooks, you may provide additional personal information such as your first and last names, profile picture, or other biographical information. This information is provided on a voluntary basis and may be displayed publicly. If you contact us for customer support, we may collect profile information associated with your email, such as first and last names, profile picture, and social media accounts. By providing this information in your user profile, you consent to our collection and processing of the data for the purposes outlined in this document.
- Contact information: If you contact us by email, your email address and associated profile information may be collected by our email software. By contacting us, you consent to the collection, processing and use of this information. This information is also necessary for us to respond to your requests, in order to fulfill our service contract to you.
- Billing information: If you purchase upgrades on Pressbooks.com or ingramspark.pressbooks.pub, you will need to provide payment and billing information, such as credit card information and billing address. The collection of this data is necessary in order to fulfill our service contract to you.
- Log data: When you use Pressbooks, our server logs automatically collect your IP address. The collection of this data is necessary in order to fulfill our service contract to you.
- Product usage and marketing analytics data (collected through 3rd party services): We collect data about how you interact with our marketing emails, such as opens and clicks. We also collect anonymized analytics data on your interactions with our website, such as which pages you visited, when you visited these pages, which part of the world you are connecting from, the browser or operating system you use, as well as anonymized demographic data. Please see the Google Analytics portion under “What third-party services we use” section for more information. By opting into our mailing lists, you consent to the collection, processing and usage of this data.
Why we collect the personal data
We require the above information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To bill and collect money: We use a third party (Stripe) to process credit card payments. Stripe must collect your credit card and billing information to properly process the payment. We also send you confirmation emails following these transactions.
- Copyright: If there is a copyright claim on content you made public through Pressbooks.com or ingramspark.pressbooks.pub, we inform you via email of the claim made and actions taken.
- To communicate with you about service updates, send promotional offers or contact you for market research purposes: If you opted-in to receive our newsletters, we may send you updates on Pressbooks features, system downtimes, as well as periodic discounts or promotions, or other offerings that may be of interest to you.
- To provide customer support: We use a third party (Groove) to handle user support requests. Groove may automatically collect profile information included in support emails, as well as contextual information that may be useful to help with your support issue, such as browser and operating system information, when available.
- For internal record keeping, including legal and financial records.
What third-party services we use
- We use Groove to manage our technical support requests and our Knowledge Base. If you contact us at email@example.com or if you use our Knowledge Base, Groove will collect contact and browsing information to help us better respond to support requests.
- We use Mailchimp for email communications with our user base. These communications includes service updates, new feature announcements, and marketing and promotions. We will only email you via Mailchimp if you have given us express permission to do so. You can unsubscribe from these mailing lists at any time via the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the emails.If you no longer wish to receive occasional email communications from Pressbooks (with the exception of the account administration emails detailed above), you may let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We use Mailgun for automated transactional emails, for example, to confirm the purchase of upgrades. These emails are only sent in the context of a transaction and cannot be turned off. If you do not wish to receive transactional and legal notices from us, you may close your account by emailing email@example.com
- We use Stripe to process most of our transactions. If you upgrade to one of our paid plans, Stripe will collect contact and credit card information in order to process the transaction.
- We use Freshbooks for accounting purposes. Your contact information will only be entered in Freshbooks if you request us to produce an invoice for you for accounting or other purposes.
- If you request a transaction through manual invoicing, the transaction may be processed by Paypal, who will collect your contact and payment information.
- We use Google Analytics to collect information on how our users use our website. We have implemented the following:
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Demographics and Interests Reporting
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data via advertising cookies and anonymous identifiers
- We use Google Analytics to collect information on how our users use our website. We have implemented the following:
- We may work with Facebook to collect user data through our website for purposes of conversion tracking and serving ads targeted to users’ interests. You may opt out of some of these interest-based ads by using the Do Not Track functionality in your Web browser or through such other methods that Facebook may specify at https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217.
- We may work with Twitter to collect user data through our website for purposes of conversion tracking and serving ads targeted to users’ interests. You may opt out of some of these interest-based ads by using the Do Not Track functionality in your Web browser or through such other methods that Twitter may specify at https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170405.
- When you leave a comment, an anonymized string created from your email address (also called a hash) may be provided to the Gravatar service to generate a profile picture.
Some third-party plugins may also be active on books hosted by Pressbooks:
Pressbooks does not share personal information with these plugins. However, these plugins may collect personal information from you directly if you use them, e.g. by logging into your Hypothes.is or Akismet account. You can consult their privacy policies by clicking on the links above.
Pressbooks provides a platform for users to share their own content with the public. As such, it is possible for users to embed content from external websites. (Ex: videos, images, articles, etc.) Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Although Pressbooks tries to limit the type of embedded content that may pose security risks, we are not responsible for the behaviour of content that our users embed into their books.
Links to Other Websites
Our website may contain links to other websites. We do not have any control over other websites and cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Cookies are small files stored on your computer, and contains information identifying your session. Cookies may be set by Pressbooks or third-party services we use.
Cookies set by Pressbooks are used in the following cases:
- If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
- If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
- When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
We also use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and may use third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) or other third-party identifiers together to compile data regarding user interactions with our website, with ad impressions, and other ad service functions as they relate to our website.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising initiative opt out page or permanently using the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on. You can find that here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
Our users can opt-out of the collection and use of information for ad targeting at www.aboutads.info/choices.
Pressbooks uses personal information such as username and email addresses in order to automatically identify spam content in books and comments.
International transfers of your personal data
Our servers are located on AWS secure databases in Montreal, Canada. Data transferred to third-party services may be hosted elsewhere. Please check the privacy policies of third party services under the section “Which third party services we use.”
Personal data you provide to Pressbooks when you register to create a book or leave a comment is retained indefinitely.
Registered users may access and modify their personal information (except their username) at any time from their user profile page.
Registered users can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes, or anonymized data collected by our analytics providers.
If you no longer wish to receive occasional promotional email communications from Pressbooks (with the exception of the account administration emails), you may let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a resident of the EEA,
- you can object to processing of your Personal Information or request us to restrict processing of your Personal Information. Such requests may be made by writing to email@example.com.
- you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your Personal Information.
Personal Data of Children
Our website is targeted to users over the age of 13. No one under this age may register on our website, according to our terms of service.
Legal basis for data processing
In addition to the cases outlined above, we may process your personal information as a data controller, where such processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Our legitimate interests typically include: improving, maintaining, providing, securing and enhancing our products and services.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. All user traffic is sent over HTTPS and we ensure strict security on our servers to prevent unauthorized access.