Need more help? Please review our support policy to find out what’s available to you.
Learn how to use Pressbooks to create, adapt, and share content.
Network manager guide
Learn how to use the features that are specific to network managers.
Get short answers to general Pressbooks questions.
Most frequent questions
Do you have an email address I can contact for my support inquiry?
If you’re at an institution using Pressbooks, please contact your network manager for assistance. If you do not know who your network manager is, navigate to your institution’s network page and submit your request through the contact form. You are also eligible to sign up for our Pressbooks webinars if you need help with your Pressbooks projects.
If you are paying for Pressbooks via an individual subscription, you can opt-in to the premium support add-on to receive personalized written support.
How do I get started with Pressbooks?
We are an authoring and formatting platform for books of all types: textbooks, monographs, novels, manuals, and beyond! It covers all aspects from start to finish of creating a book. Your book creation process will look something like this:
- Sign-up for Pressbooks. You will have the option to create a book right away. If you are affiliated with an institution that has access to Pressbooks, speak with your network manager. If you do not know whether or not your institution has Pressbooks fill out this form and we’ll check for you.
- Add book information. You can include a title, author, language, book description, and more!
- Start building your book by writing, formatting, and adding media. Use the Authoring Dashboard to start writing.
- Choose a theme for your book. There are 21 different themes with different typefaces, colors, and styles to explore.
- Export your book in 10+ formats! With PDF, ePUB, and a web version of your book, your book can be shared and sold online, or sent to a printer.
Keep in mind that nothing on Pressbooks is irreversible. Everything, from the book information to the theme can always be modified! Feel free to explore all of the options you have for your book. You can read more in depth about kicking off your Pressbooks project.
You can also start with our quick “Introduction to Pressbooks” video.
Do you offer a print-on-demand service?
While we can produce your books digitally, we are not a print shop. You will have to consult other parties to have your books printed. However, we can take care of all of the steps leading up to having your books published and sold, including adding print-on-demand information and designing a book cover. You can also choose to include purchase links of different vendors for your books on the web version of the book.
Where can I find Open Educational Resources (OER) and other openly licensed content?
Have a look at Pressbooks Directory! The Directory is an online repository for all publicly available Pressbooks books. Everyone has access to these materials, regardless of whether your institution has a Pressbooks network.
If I use Pressbooks, who owns my book?
You do! You own and are responsible for your content. Pressbooks takes no rights or royalties for the content created with our software. It’s up to you to decide what you’d like to do with your book.
Didn’t find the answer you were looking for?
The Pressbooks Community of Practice is a space of conversation and mutual aid. All our users are encouraged to participate in the public forum. Network managers of our enterprise-level networks are invited to become a member of our private EDU Clients community forum to take part in the public Pressbooks Community of Practice.