We are a small team building software that supports new models for book publishing with an emphasis on helping make educational resources (aka digital textbooks) free for all. The Pressbooks platform includes an intuitive authoring platform for books and other educational material, an extensive directory of public books and open educational resources (OER), and secure methods of delivering content to learning management systems. We are passionate about open source, open content, open knowledge, and the intersection of books and the web.
We’re a self-sustaining open source / SaaS business, with a growing list of clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Most of our clients are universities and other educational institutions who use Pressbooks to power their publishing and open/free digital textbook creation programs.
Half of our team works from our office in Montréal’s Mile End neighborhood; the other half work remotely from locations across the Americas. Equity, inclusion and diversity are core values for us and the communities we support (and we mean it). We offer flexible work hours and generous vacation time, and we believe in work-life balance.
About the Role:
You will be involved in planning, developing, implementing, and testing software as part of a small development team (a product owner and 3 other full time developers) which practices Scrum. Anticipated tasks will include helping maintain our existing codebase (working on bugfixes, writing tests, coordinating testing, and QA), proposing tools, and developing new features and solutions for clients. In the near future this may include building a business intelligence dashboard for internal use, adding a “Featured Collections” feature to the Pressbooks Directory, or developing integrations with other services and external APIs (such as Google Docs).
You are an experienced full-stack software developer with a background and interest in working with PHP. You want to become an active contributor to a small, dedicated development team that supports a growing SaaS business while maintaining an open-source software project (built in part on WordPress as a dev stack). You are excited by the prospect of joining a sustainable EdTech company whose focus areas include book publishing, education, and open content. You want to do meaningful work for a mission-driven organization that treats its employees, clients, and software users with respect.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups in tech and non-traditional tech backgrounds to apply for this position.
- Proficiency developing on a LEMP stack in PHP 7.3+ (Linux, NGINX, MariaDB, PHP)
- Experience using modern PHP development practices (coding standards, unit tests, dependency management)
- Proficiency with Amazon Web Services and Amazon infrastructure
- Ability to communicate clearly with other team members in speech and writing
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Previous experience as a contributor to or maintainer of an open source software project
- Interest in web/print publishing, higher education, and/or open licensing
- Based in or able to relocate to Montréal, Quebec (remote candidates will also be considered)
- Experience leading small teams or projects
- 5 or more years of software development experience
What you’ll be working with:
- Stack: Linux, NGINX, MariaDB/Aurora, PHP
- Algolia (search as a service)
- GitHub repositories and project boards (public and private), open source software
- Amazon Web Services (Cloudwatch, RDS/Aurora, EC2, EBS, Route53, S3, Serverless)
- Bedrock (composer compatible WordPress dev stack: https://roots.io/bedrock/ )
- Trellis (Ansible playbooks for a WordPress LEMP stack: https://roots.io/trellis/ )
- Terraform (infrastructure as code software: https://terraform.io)
- New Relic, Travis CI, BrowserStack, Slack
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Software Development: minimum 5 years experience (preferred)
Location: Montréal, QC (or Remote within the Americas)
Application deadline: February 7, 2021
Please send an email to: email@example.com with the subject line ‘[Application] Full Stack Developer’. Please include a CV, any relevant links, and an explanation of why you’d like to join us.
Outbound Sales Representative
About the Role:
Your sales efforts will be targeting prospects who have not yet expressed interest in Pressbooks. You will generate a lead list through prospecting, and contact prospects by phone and/or email with the goal of scheduling a demo. You will educate prospects on the value Pressbooks offers and tailor your pitch to their needs. You will be responsible for taking the prospect through the entire sales cycle, including contract negotiations.
You are driven and self motivated, eager to learn and develop your skill set. You enjoy working on small collaborative teams. You have excellent customer service skills and strive to ensure prospects and customers enjoy an outstanding experience any time they engage with you and/or the product or service you are selling. You are research-oriented; you enjoy learning about prospects and customers and find innovative ways of engaging with them to drive sales. You are persistent – outbound sales representatives frequently deal with difficult prospects and customers, but you must remain driven and positive even in the face of adversity to transform leads into sales. Communication skills – you are a personable communicator who clearly and persuasively describe products and services to customers to encourage sales transactions.
- Lead Pressbooks’ Outbound Sales efforts
- Execute and iterate upon Pressbook’s sales outreach strategy
- Prospecting and lead generation
- Cold calls and emails
- Market Research to develop warm leads
- Book and host demos
- Negotiate Sales contracts
- Maintain and update contact records within the CRM
- Attend conferences virtually, and in person when safe, to connect with new leads
- You take initiative and are self-motivated
- You have at least 1-3 years sales experience
- You have experience selling a SaaS product
- You have a growth mindset
- You are creative and excited to try various approaches to outbound sales
- You have knowledge of the higher education industry and/or publishing
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator
- You have networking aptitude
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Sales: 2 years (Preferred)
Location: Montréal, QC or Remote within Canada
Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: [Application] Outbound Sales Representative. Please include a CV, any relevant links, and an explanation of why you’d like to join us.