Pressbooks has been an innovator in digital book publishing and open education for the past decade, helping in the development and success of open education programs in Higher Education across North America and the world. The Pressbooks platform includes an intuitive authoring platform for educational material, an extensive directory of public books and open educational resources (OER), and secure methods of delivering content to learning management systems (LMS). We enable faculty and students to create and adapt educational content, we support multimedia and interactive elements like quizzes, and deliver content online and in multiple downloadable formats.
We’re a self-sustaining open source / SaaS business, with clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Most of our clients are universities and other educational institutions who use Pressbooks to power their publishing and open/free digital textbook creation programs.
We are a small and passionate team, working in Montréal’s Mile End neighborhood and remotely from locations across North & South America. Equity, inclusion and diversity are core values for us and the communities we support (and we mean it). We offer flexible work hours and generous vacation time, and we believe in work-life balance.
Full Stack Developer
You are an experienced full-stack software developer with a background and interest in working with PHP. You want to become an active contributor to a small, dedicated development team that supports a growing SaaS business while maintaining an open-source software project built in part on WordPress as a dev stack. You are excited by the prospect of joining a sustainable EdTech company whose focus areas include book publishing, education, and open content. You want to do meaningful work for an organization that is mission-driven and treats its employees, clients, and software users with respect.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups in tech and non-traditional tech backgrounds to apply for this position.
You will be involved in planning, developing, implementing and testing software as part of a small development team which practices Scrum. Anticipated tasks will include helping maintain our existing codebase (working on bugfixes, writing tests, coordinating testing and QA), proposing tools, and collaborating with others to developing new features and solutions for clients. In the near future this may include developing integrations with other services and external APIs (such as Google Docs), and building a business intelligence dashboard for internal use.
- Proficiency developing on a LEMP stack in PHP 7.3+ (Linux, NGINX, MariaDB, PHP)
- Proficiency with Amazon Web Services and Amazon infrastructure
- Ability to communicate clearly with other team members in speech and writing
- Familiarity with WordPress and the Laravel PHP framework
- Previous experience as a contributor to or maintainer of an open source software project
- Interest in web/print publishing, higher education, and/or open licensing
- Based in or able to relocate to Montréal, Quebec (remote candidates will also be considered)
- Nice to have: Experience leading small teams or projects.
What you’ll be working with:
- Stack: Linux, NGINX, MariaDB/Aurora, PHP
- Algolia (search as a service)
- GitHub repositories and project boards (public and private), open source software
- Amazon Web Services (Cloudwatch, RDS/Aurora, EC2, EBS, Route53, S3, Serverless)
- Bedrock (composer compatible WordPress dev stack: https://roots.io/bedrock/ )
- Trellis (Ansible playbooks for a WordPress LEMP stack: https://roots.io/trellis/ )
- Terraform (infrastructure as code software: https://terraform.io)
- New Relic, Travis CI, BrowserStack, Slack
Who you’ll be working with:
You’ll be working most closely with our software development team comprised of a product owner and 2 other full time developers.
Apply by sending a résumé to email@example.com with the subject line “Full Stack Developer”
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Software Development: minimum 5 years experience (preferred)
Location: Montréal, QC (Preferred) but open to remote locations.