Applications are currently open for:
Full Stack Developer
Apply by sending a résumé and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Full Stack Developer”.
We are a small team building software that supports new models for book publishing with an emphasis on helping make educational resources (aka digital textbooks) free for all. We are passionate about open source, open content, open knowledge, and the intersection of books and the web.
We’re a self-sustaining open source / SaaS business, with a growing list of clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Most of our clients are universities and other educational institutions who use Pressbooks to power their publishing and open/free digital textbook creation programs.
Half of our team works from our office in Montréal’s Mile End neighborhood; the other half work remotely from locations across North America. Equity, inclusion and diversity are core values for us and the communities we support (and we mean it). We offer flexible work hours and generous vacation time, and we believe in work-life balance.
Minimum 5 years in software development, including leadership experience. You like working with a small, but passionate group with a mission-focus on education, open source and open content.
You are an experienced full-stack software developer with a background and interest in working with PHP. You want to become an active contributor to a small, dedicated development team that supports a SaaS business while maintaining an open-source software project (built in part on WordPress as a dev stack). You are excited by the prospect of joining a sustainable EdTech company whose focus areas include book publishing, education, and open content. You want to do meaningful work for an organization that is mission-driven and treats its employees, clients, and software users with respect.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups in tech and non-traditional tech backgrounds to apply for this position.
You will be involved in planning, developing, implementing and testing software as part of a small development team. Anticipated development tasks will include helping maintain our existing codebase (work on bugfixes, monitor and update dependencies, prepare and package releases, coordinate testing and deploy tasks) and developing new features. In the near future this may include developing microservices, Single Page Applications, and building on external APIs (such as Google Docs).
- Proficiency developing on a LEMP stack in PHP 7.3+ (Linux, NGINX, MariaDB, PHP)
- Proficiency with Amazon Web Services and Amazon infrastructure
- Based in or able to relocate to Montréal, Quebec (remote candidates will also be considered)
- Previous experience as a contributor to or maintainer of an open source software project
- Familiarity with WordPress and the Laravel PHP framework
- Interest in web/print publishing, higher education, and/or open licensing
What you’ll be working with
- LEMP Stack: (Linux, NGINX, MariaDB, PHP)
- GitHub repositories and project boards (public and private)
- Bedrock (composer compatible WordPress dev stack: https://roots.io/bedrock/ )
- Trellis (Ansible playbooks for a WordPress LEMP stack: https://roots.io/trellis/ )
- Terraform (infrastructure as code software: https://terraform.io)
- Amazon Web Services: (Cloudwatch, RDS/Aurora, EC2, EBS, Route53, S3)
- New Relic, Travis CI, Slack
Who you’ll be working with
You’ll be working most closely with our software development team, comprised of a product owner (remote), a senior developer, and our technical support lead (both based in Montréal), and our DevOps team, comprised of our operations manager (based in Montréal) and a DevOps engineer (remote).
Questions about the position can be directed to Başak Büyükçelen at: email@example.com.
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Software Development: 3-5 years (Preferred)
Location: Montréal, QC (preferred)