We’re changing things that will impact individual authors
Since 2011, we have proudly supported tens of thousands of authors in creating beautifully formatted books. Concurrently, we have partnered with educational institutions in their quest to support instructors who publish accessible and impactful digital textbooks. Many of the important educational features—such as interactive quizzes—have not been available to individual users of Pressbooks. Today, we are announcing that individuals will be able to access to these educational features. In particular, we’re planning three important changes which will impact individual authors using Pressbooks:
- We now offer subscription options to provide individuals the features that have previously only been available to educational institutions.
- We are changing our per-book pricing for individual Pressbooks users from a one-time fee to a monthly subscription.
- We will no longer host books on pressbooks.com and ingramspark.pressbooks.pub as of September 29, 2022. If no action is taken, books will be permanently deleted as of this date. Individual authors on these networks who wish to continue using Pressbooks will need to migrate to our new infrastructure. Don’t worry. We’re here to help.
Please note: We will preserve openly licensed books! All public books with an open license will be migrated to a new url and redirects will be set up so readers are not confused. Users will only need an active subscription to make future edits to these books. Read more about our plan for OER.
How is this new subscription different?
Books created by individuals will now be hosted at new URLs that follow this format:
https://pressbooks.pub/YOURBOOK. All existing books that migrate to the new subscription will be redirected to their new URLs.
The new book subscription plans will also allow you to use educational features, including:
- The cloning tool, which allows you to copy and edit openly licensed books
- Analytics in your dashboard for measuring page views
- The opportunity to be included in Pressbooks Directory
- The option to allow readers to download exports directly from your book’s homepage
- Interactive quiz building and several other interactive elements using H5P
- And more!
You will also be able to purchase personalized support from our dedicated support team. Learn more about the new subsciption plans we are offering.
So what’s happening to my book?
If you have previously created a book hosted at pressbooks.com or ingramspark.pressbooks.pub that is not public and openly-licensed, your book will be deleted on September 29, 2022. You have the following options:
- Do nothing and let your book be deleted on the scheduled date;
- Export your book before September 29, 2022 and host your content elsewhere;
- Request migration of your book to pressbooks.pub and start a trial subscription.
If you choose option 1 or 2:
- Your books on pressbooks.com and ingramspark.pressbooks.pub will be deleted on September 29, 2022.
- Your existing user account(s) and all associated user data will be removed from our servers at this time.
If you choose option 3:
- Pressbooks staff will migrate your book to the new network. Fill out our request migration form to begin this process. You will need to be signed into your Pressbooks account to fill out this form.
- If your book was public, we’ll set up redirects so your readers don’t get lost.
- If you previously purchased a Pressbooks Ebook Pro or PDF+Ebook Pro upgrade, we will provide you with a promo code of equivalent value which can be applied toward the purchase of a pressbooks.pub book subscription.
I published an open educational resource (OER). What now?
That’s awesome! We love OER and we will continue to support the future of those books. It’s important to us that students and educators using your OER continue to access their course materials.
If the book you published on pressbooks.com or Ingram Spark has an open license, we will migrate your book to a pressbooks.pub URL and continue hosting it as a read-only title free of charge. If you want to continue editing your book with Pressbooks, you will need to upgrade to one of our subscription plans.
Thank you for choosing Pressbooks
We know this is a disruptive change for existing users, and we want to help you with the migration in any way we can. We are grateful you chose Pressbooks to publish your work and look forward to supporting your publishing goals. We can’t wait to see what you create with the new features available to individual authors!
If you want to share feedback, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.