PressBooks is a simple book publishing tool: put your book content into PressBooks, choose a book design theme, and export into:
- ebooks format (for Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Kobo and others)
- typeset PDF (for print-on-demand and other uses)
- more exotic XML formats
PressBooks is used by authors and publishers around the world.
Use PressBooks.com – it’s free!
Or, Download the PressBooks Plugin – it’s Open Source
PressBooks is Open Source Software (and built as a WordPress plugin), here is some information about how to download it.
PressBooks is built on top of WordPress – so we’ve got one of the most powerful web platforms powering our infrastructure. But we’ve completely rejigged WordPress for the purpose of making books. Of course, all books on PressBooks are ready for the web, which is great for accessibility and promotion (if you choose to take advantage of it).
Selling Your Books
Get your books into Kindle, Apple iBooks, Nook and other ebook stores using our distribution partners.
Who is Using PressBooks?
- Authors who want an easy way to make a book and get it into the ebook stores.
- Big and small publishers looking for more efficient workflows, and digital first publishing.
- Open Access advocates and Open Textbook projects
- University professors, making materials for their classes.
- Conference producers, making ebooks and print books of their proceedings.
- English classes, making books out of stories written by students.
- A crazy collection of Australian writers, making a book in 24 hours.
Who is PressBooks?
PressBooks was started in Montreal by Hugh McGuire, with lots of people helping. Dac Chartrand is Lead Developer. Sonia Gaballa makes the nice designs. Ned Zimmerman wrangles various plugins.