Sales Account Executive
We are a small team working together to build software that supports new models for publishing with a focus on web-first books, optimized for learning. Originally grounded in the open source world, we are passionate about creators having full control over their content, open education, and the intersection of books and digital technology.
We’re a self-sustaining business with a growing list of happy enterprise SaaS clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Our versatile publishing platform is used by colleges, universities, and other educational communities around the world to create and adapt textbooks and other learning materials that are accessible, interactive, and low-cost or free to students. We care deeply about customer success and supporting the educational communities that rely on our products.
We are a fully remote company with folks working across North America. Our team is welcoming, compassionate, and committed to maintaining a safe and encouraging environment for people of all racial backgrounds and gender identities. Our innovative four-day workweek, vacation time, and sick or care leave policies are designed to support healthy engagement with work and space for a satisfying life outside of it.
About the Role
Pressbooks is in a unique market position. We are considered essential infrastructure within the open education community–a small but growing niche within higher education–where our customers adore us. Because our versatile publishing platform can be invaluable to many parts of an educational organization, we’re excited about the opportunity to grow within and beyond our established base. In this role, you will help academic leaders, educators and learning technologists envision how Pressbooks supports digital learning innovation and equitable student success.
We are looking for a Sales Account Executive with excellent communication and relationship-building skills, as well as a passion for learning and education. In this role, you will nurture relationships with customers and prospects as you conduct a variety of sales activities. We use Account Based Marketing (ABM) to prioritize our focus on and deep knowledge of key accounts and how to help them achieve their goals as they become satisfied enterprise clients. You’ll join a small but highly capable team and will report directly to the Sales Team Lead.
To succeed in this role, you’ll nurture relationships and facilitate the sales process for inbound leads from beginning to end. You will generate new business opportunities through prospecting and other outbound sales activities, with support from the marketing team. As the account manager for existing customers in your territory, you’ll work proactively to address clients’ needs and position them for success, fueling renewals and expansion sales. You’ll implement a consultative, personalized approach to understanding client needs and desires, and you’ll cooperate with teammates to ensure that they remain satisfied with Pressbooks. You’ll also have opportunities to leverage peer networks and word-of-mouth recommendations to grow Pressbooks’ presence within your territory.
You are a dynamic, engaging sales professional with strong verbal and written communication, time management, organizational and people skills. You are determined and self-motivated, eager to add to your skill set and your understanding of the market dynamics your customers face. You have a passion for learning and education, and you approach problem-solving with curiosity, creativity, and an openness to experimentation. You get excited about using data to gauge personal and team performance because you love how data helps you figure out what works and how to work smarter.
You are diligent in shepherding relationships and deals through the contracting process as you transform leads into sales. You love working with customers to understand their needs and find the right fit between their goals and the solutions we offer. You pride yourself on delivering an outstanding customer experience each time a contact engages with you.
You thrive working with a small, collaborative and growth-focused team. You work well with others and are skilled at managing your time and attention productively in a largely autonomous work environment.
- Achieve monthly and quarterly goals for sales and sales-related activities
- Take ownership of key accounts and drive success using account-based marketing strategies, tools and tactics
- Shepherd inbound inquiries through the sales process to close business
- Actively prospect for new business via email, phone, webinars, events, referrals, community engagement, market research, and other outbound-focused activities
- Book and give effective demos
- Manage account needs and build relationships with existing clients to drive renewal and expansion revenue
- Execute and iterate upon Pressbooks’ sales outreach strategy, using data to experiment and drive improvements to sales processes and cadence
- Negotiate Sales contracts
- Maintain and update contact records and track sales activity within the CRM
- Attend in-person and virtual conferences to present Pressbooks, showcase customers’ success, demonstrate thought leadership, and identify new leads
- You enjoy enterprise sales and have at least 3 years of sales experience, including at least one year in B2B SaaS product sales
- You are comfortable learning and using web technology
- You seek out opportunities to expand your network and drive revenue growth
- You work to continually hone and improve effective sales processes
- You are great at delivering compelling product demonstrations that speak to the specific needs, pain points, and aspirations of your audience
- You manage your time well working across different dimensions of your role, including handling of complex accounts and contract negotiations
- You are curious about our customers and market sector, and you’re excited to try creative approaches to reach and engage them
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator
- You are proficient with a commercial CRM product (Zendesk Sell, Hubspot CRM, Salesforce, etc.) and Google Workspace applications (Docs, Sheets, Slides, email, calendar, etc.)
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of the higher education industry and/or publishing industry
- Experience with account-based marketing (ABM) strategies and tactics for generating leads, building relationships, and moving deals through the sales pipeline
- Familiarity with Scrum methodology
What we offer
- 4-day work week, with Fridays off
- 4 weeks of vacation and time off during the December holidays
- Extended health care, including dental and vision
- 24/7 telehealth services
- Employee assistance program (legal, financial and career)
- Generous benefits package that includes:
- yearly tech allowance,
- yearly wellness allowance,
- yearly book allowance,
- monthly internet allowance,
- group RRSP
- one-time work-from-home stipend,
- memberships to discount platforms.
What to expect once you apply
After initial screening for qualifications, you will be invited to join a 30-minute intro call with our recruitment team, during which we will walk you through the team’s mission, the role, and the interview process.
Following the intro call, we will invite selected candidates to advance to a one-hour interview with the hiring manager. Semi-finalists will be asked to demonstrate their skills by giving a virtual demo presentation. Finalists will be invited to an additional 1-hour interview with members of your future team.
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Minimum 3 years prior sales experience required
Location: Canadawide remote
Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [Application] [Sales Account Executive]
Please include a CV, any relevant links, and an explanation of why you’d like to join us.