We are a small team building software that supports new models for book publishing with an emphasis on helping make educational resources (aka digital textbooks) free for all. We are passionate about open source, open content, open knowledge, and the intersection of books and the web.
We’re a self-sustaining open source / SaaS business, with a growing list of happy clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Most of our clients are universities and other educational institutions who use Pressbooks to power their publishing and open/free digital textbook creation programs. We are trusted partners to higher education institutions, helping them deliver strong Open Education programs.
Half of our team works from our office in Montréal’s Mile End neighborhood; the other half works remotely from locations across the Americas. Equity, inclusion, and diversity are core values for us and the communities we support (and we mean it). Our team is welcoming, compassionate, and committed to maintaining a safe and encouraging environment for people of all racial backgrounds and gender identities. Our work hours, vacation time, and sick or care leave policies are in place to lift people up and support their dreams.
About the Role:
The Cloud Architect will work with the management team to develop and improve our organization’s infrastructure strategy, optimize our current AWS setup for performance and efficiency, and measure impacts. You will be in charge of prioritizing devops work, from large projects to ongoing tasks. You will oversee our devops engineer, and work closely with our full stack dev team. You will coordinate work, open tickets, and serve as the first point of contact with our infrastructure as a service partner. You will help us maintain our robust infrastructure (multi-tenant and autoscaling), strategize the future of our infrastructure in alignment with company goals and plans, help make decisions about our technology stack, and make sure our security practices are up to industry standards. You’ll be responsible for internal devops processes and compliance, including managing client-requested security reviews, incident reports, disaster recovery plans and training etc.
You are an experienced cloud architect/devops engineer with a background and interest in working with AWS. You like to optimize effort for impact. You want to become an active contributor to a small, dedicated development and devops team that supports a growing SaaS business and maintains an open-source software project (including a core application built on top of WordPress multisite). You are excited by the prospect of joining a sustainable EdTech company whose focus areas include book publishing, education, and open content. You want to do meaningful work for a mission-driven organization that treats its employees, clients, and software users with respect.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups and non-traditional tech backgrounds to apply for this position.
- Work with management team to develop metrics and KPIs for infrastructure performance
- Create a forward thinking cloud infrastructure strategy and manage the adoption process
- Work with our Dev Ops Engineer and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) partner to maintain and improve our infrastructure
- Work closely with our development team to make and implement technical/infrastructure stack decisions
- Revise and keep up-to-date our Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery, Incident Management Plan
- Answer and keep up to date industry specific security questionnaires (such as HECVATs, Cloud Security Alliance Self Assessment etc)
- Manage CI/CD Tools within the Team
- Identify and implement cloud architecture services and solutions to meet the strategic needs of the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years experience designing, executing, and supporting cloud solutions.
- Experience leading small teams
- Extensive experience with AWS
- A solid grasp of networking fundamentals and scalable computing systems, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers
- Demonstrated proficiency in Linux
- Solid expertise in CloudFormation, Ansible, and Terraform
- Extensive experience in building and deploying applications in AWS (EC2, S3, RDS, ELB, Lambda, Glue, Athena, etc.)
What you’ll be working with:
- Amazon Web Services (Cloudwatch, RDS/Aurora, EC2, EBS, Route53, S3, Serverless) and New Relic
- Bedrock (Composer compatible WordPress dev stack: https://roots.io/bedrock/ )
- Trellis (Ansible playbooks for a WordPress LEMP stack: https://roots.io/trellis/ )
- Terraform (infrastructure as code software: https://terraform.io)
- GitHub repositories and project boards (public and private), open source software
- GitHub Actions, Jenkins, Dependabot, Vagrant, Composer, BrowserStack, Slack
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Minimum 7 years
Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [Application] [Cloud Architect]