Trapped in a Polar Vortex? Look on the bright side. More time to write! And, of course, prepare to publish. Ideally with Pressbooks! Here’s what we’ve got for you this month:
- Deal! 30% off PDF Exports
- New Pricing for Ebook Exports
- Pressbooks Help: How to Make a Book
- Pressbooks Help Videos: New Tutorials
- User Profile: Subscription-based Ebooks
- Recent Pressbooks Books: Educators Using Pressbooks
- Become a Pressbooks Evangelist
- Partner Deal: $50 Discount at Pubslush
- New Servers!!!
1. Deal! 30% off PDF Packages
Is finishing your book among your New Year’s Resolutions? You can save on your file upgrade by purchasing now. Through Sunday, using the upgrade code POLARVORTEX, get 30% off PDF+EBOOK PRO packages.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- include the link (Web address) to the book you would like to upgrade;
- add the discount code (POLARVORTEX) in the subject line.
- This deal expires on Dec. 21 at midnight EST, so move quickly!
2. New Pricing for Ebook Exports
At Pressbooks, our mission is to democratize publishing. We work hard to keep publishing affordable, by charging by the book, not for use of our platform. We don’t ding you with charges for updates or multiple exports, and we don’t take a cut of your sales. We’ve long advertised our EBOOK+Pro Upgrade at $25, but we’ve only charged $10. Till now. We’re upping the EBOOK+Pro Upgrade price to $19.99 (per title, one-time fee), on Jan. 1, 2015. But don’t worry–you still have time to upgrade for $10 per book. Purchase by Dec. 31 to take advantage of the old, super-low price. Prices for print file upgrades (PDF+EBOOK Pro) are going to drop down, by a whole dollar, to $99!
3. Pressbooks Help: How to Make a Book
Pressbooks was designed to take care of the technical hurdle of publishing: We make it easy for anyone to make professional-quality ebooks and PDFs for print, without knowing anything about coding or book design. But there’s a lot more to publishing, and we wanted to help writers get a handle on the basics of the whole publishing process (writing, editing, distribution and marketing). We’ve created a downloadable PDF and Slideshare that goes over the whole process and where Pressbooks fits in. (If you are interested in a free webinar about publishing for your organization, let us know: Email email@example.com).
4. Pressbooks Help Videos: Upload Your Book to Kindle and More
We’re continuing to expand our video tutorial archives on YouTube. New videos are now available on:
- getting your book into KDP
- getting your book into Kobo
- using parts and chapters in Pressbooks
- inserting the information about your book (called metadata)
- and how to customize your CSS for ebook, print and Web outputs.
5. Like Serial, for Reference Books
Author / publisher David Harris is using Pressbooks to produce subscription-based law books, which are sold on his website, e-mploymentbooks.com. Find out why digital publishing is perfect for serial content needing frequent updates, and why he uses Pressbooks to create and deliver it.
6. Education and Training Organizations Using Pressbooks
This month, we bring you some inspiration, in the form of two educational organizations using Pressbooks. Faculty at Brigham Young University used Pressbooks to create the textbook An Open Education Reader for an intro class on open education. The Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism at Arizona State University, whose mission is to help journalists cover money better, repurposed tip sheets for covering 17 business beats into an ebook, Beat Basics.
7. Do You Love Pressbooks? Become a Pressbooks Evangelist.
Has Pressbooks helped you in your publishing endeavors? Want to tell the world about it? Become a Pressbooks brand evangelist and get discounts on your print-on-demand exports and other perks. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
8. Crowdfunding Special With our Partner Pubslush
Planning to publish your book in the New Year? You can use the promo code GIFT with our partner Pubslush to get $50 off Pubslush Prep packages. The packages are designed to help you launch a successful crowdfunding campaign pre-marketing your book to friends and fans.
9. New Servers
Pressbooks is on some new zippy servers–so if you haven’t logged into Pressbooks in a while, you should notice a big improvement. Thanks to Christopher and Ned for the hard work getting things moved over and running (almost) without a hitch.
As always, we want to hear from you–tell us what you need and want–we’re listening! Reach out anytime with feedback or questions at email@example.com.
All the Best,