We’re adding yet another perk to PressbooksEDU networks: a discussion space in our Pressbooks Community specifically for network managers of EDU hosted networks. All current and future PressbooksEDU network managers will be invited to connect, interact, and share ideas with others in similar roles in this forum. Our decision to create this new community space
UPDATE: This feature is still in ALPHA stage … meaning there are still some bugs and issues we’re working on. Please let us know if you see problems importing.
This importer will bring in all your chapters, and basic styling (italic, bold, lists etc). Note that support for styling has been added to the Open Office/Libre Office ODT import as well (thanks again to Brad).
Note that the importer will import only BASIC styling, not font choices, colors etc.
To use the MS Word importer, see instructions below, and screenshots below that.
- Prepare your docx file: Chapter headings in your docx **MUST** be tagged as **Heading1** (otherwise chapters won’t get recognized)
- In PressBooks, go to: Left Menu/Utilities —> Import.
- Select: File Type: docx
- Choose your file from your computer
- Select which content/sections you want to import
- Decide whether the content/sections are: front-matter, chapters, or back-matter
- Arrange your chapters in the right order
- Test some exports, clean up markup, and off you go!
- everything other than basic styling is stripped out _by design_ … so fancy fonts and such won’t get imported. Italics, bold etc should.
- all chapters are imported as DRAFTs. A quick way to get this listed as published is: mark all the chapters Private, then revert to Public. This will make the “published”.
- all chapters assign a Chapter Author by default (usually, your username). You’ll have to edit each chapter and delete the Chapter Author the Chapter Metadata section.
NOTE: please let us know if you run into any problems, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, get cracking on PressBooks.
1. Prepare your .docx file
Note: Chapter headings in your docx **MUST** be tagged as **Heading1** (otherwise chapters won’t get recognized)
2. In PressBooks, go to: Left Menu/Utilities —> Import.
3, 4, 5: Select your filetype, choose file and upload
6, 7, 8: Select your content, decide what it is, and import
9, 10: Rearrange your chaps (if necessary), check them (!) and… tada!
Questions? Comments? Send us an email: email@example.com.