It’s time for us to lift the curtain on some major changes here at Pressbooks! We’ve spent a lot of time over the last month doing some much-needed maintenance across the platform, including theme improvements and changes to the user experience for institutions using single-sign on technology. These past weeks also included important work on
PressBooks has gone international! Or at least, we have started to. Our mission is: to make it easy for every writer and every publisher in the universe to make beautiful ebooks, print books, and webbooks — no matter what language they write in, read in, or speak.
To that end, we’ve enlisted some friends and supporters to help make PressBooks’ user interface, and book outputs more global in nature. We now offer (alpha! needs improvement) PressBooks in the following languages:
- Português/Portuguese [thanks to Israel Cerfin]
- 日本語/Japanese [thanks to Daisuke Muro]
- Français/French [thanks to Macina]
- Español/Spanish [thanks to Silvia]
- 中國(繁體)/Chinese (Traditional) [thanks to Arik]
Here’s how you use PressBooks in different languages (for now … we’ll improve this down the road).
First, to change the PressBooks User Interface to a new language:
1. Login to PressBooks, and Edit Profile
2/3. Scroll Down and select your Language, then click on Update Profile
Now if you’d like to modify your EXPORTS as well …
4. Go to “Book Information”
5. Finally, choose your Export language. If supported, Exports will modify various text, such as Contents
All of these translation features are FIRST DRAFTS. They all need improvement. Please contact us if you would like to help: firstname.lastname@example.org.